The Barton Reading and Spelling Program program is a remediation program that supports children and adults with reading and spelling difficulties, including dyslexia. It is available throughout the year, including the summer, in person or online.
- Tutoring is offered in blocks of 10 weeks (a shorter block if only summer tutoring is requested). Sessions are based on one-hour blocks although within this time we are flexible to the needs of students (for example co-occurring with ADHD) therefore actual tutoring time will be less than one hour.
- Most students are tutored for one session weekly although we can offer two sessions weekly if requested, and tutors are available.
- Students’ progress through ‘Levels’ and master reading and spelling skills including decoding and strategies supporting their reading elsewhere.
- Students’ progress at their own pace and the tutor ensures the learning is retained before moving on to a new concept.
- At 8 weeks, tutors prepare a written review detailing what the student has been studying and their progress. At this point students/parents can decide if they wish to continue, and a further contract is prepared.
- Tutoring takes place one-on-one.
- In-person tutoring takes place at ‘hub’ sites which may be a school or a community location or the LDAPEI office.
- LDAPEI does not offer tutoring in individual houses/apartments.
- Tutors are either graduates from University Education programs, with a minimum B.Ed., and are certified and registered to teach on PEI, or they are studying on a current B.Ed. program.
Cost: $30 per session ($300 for ten-week contract) or $15 per session, if eligible for a subsidy based on household income (see registration form).
- Payment may be by e-transfer, cheque or cash (e-transfer preferred).
- A tax receipt will be issued shortly after payment is made.
- Subsidies are available through the generosity of various donors although these are not guaranteed. Once subsidy funds are exhausted, subsidies will discontinue.
For more information, please connect with us.